Johnson County Special Utility District takes your high water bill concerns seriously and is committed to water conservation and protecting our water supply. The water leak adjustment rewards customers for fixing leaks and is limited to one in a rolling 24-month period.
A leak adjustment is an adjustment to a water bill where qualified customers satisfactorily demonstrate that a water leak on the customer side of the meter was cause for abnormally high usage and that the leak has been repaired.
The requirements and process for applying for each one are detailed below.
Step 1. Qualifications
A leak adjustment is applicable to residential customers who:
- Have a Standard 5/8 x 3/4 Meter, 3/4 Meter, or 1-inch Meter, and have no more than two (2) end users.
- Can demonstrate/show documentation of a water leak on the customer side of the meter.
- Can demonstrate/show documentation that the water leak has been repaired.
Step 2. Complete and Submit the Leak Adjustment Form
Completed the Leak Adjustment Form by one of the following methods:
- Request the Leak Adjustment Form to be sent to you.
- Print the Leak Adjustment Form
- Access the Online Leak Adjustment Form.
Acceptable Forms of Documentation
Submit the form via one of the following methods:
- Email: KMinchey@jcsud.com
- Mail: P.O. Box 1390, Joshua, TX 76058
- In person: 740 FM 3048, Joshua, TX 76058
*If filling out the online form, the online form will email to a Customer Service Representative upon clicking submit.
Once all required documents have been received, JCSUD will process the request and calculate the available leak adjustment amount.
Step 3. Volume of Water to be Adjusted
The volume of water to be adjusted will depend on the length of time and the water volume attributable to the leak, according to the District’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI).
The final Leak Adjustment Form will be sent back to you, showing the leak adjustment amount, and will require the form to be signed and returned before the adjustment will be applied to your account.
Step 4. Revised Bill
The revised bill will be calculated as follows:
- Meters reporting to AMI-Entire volume of the leak, up to 2 months.
- Meters not reporting to AMI- Average volume up to 3 months.
- Less the leakage volume, the District will use the best available usage history to derive the estimated bill.
- The volume rate will be billed at $3.50 per thousand gallons or the current rate for the direct cost of water production.
Step 5. Adjustment Availability
A leak adjustment is available once every 24 months. If a customer demonstrates a water leak within the 24-month period that is of catastrophic proportion (Example: 10+ times more than average usage), staff may consider other options and/or an exception to the once-in-a-24-month provision.